only in Kiev regionincluding the country’s capital, Ukrainian security officers have already done so documented and recorded more than 1,200 acts considered war crimes attributed to the RussiansUkrainian Interior Minister Denys Monastyrsky said Tuesday.
“In the Kiev region alone, we have recorded more than 1,200 cases of war crimes. These are looting and crimes committed by orcs (as some Ukrainians call the Russians) on our territories”, The minister denounces on local television channels, the agency publishes Ukrinform.
Referring to the alleged crimes of Russian troops recorded in the territories already liberated by the Ukrainian army, Monastyrsky noted that “investigators from the National Police, the Security Service and the Prosecutor’s Office are already working together to establish, record evidence and identify who may have committed these crimes.
“All those (Russians) who have been taken prisoner are identified and made available to the security services of Ukraine and the military authorities for law enforcement”he pointed out.
Once this procedure is done “They will be transferred to the Ministry of Justice – he specified -, where they will go to court and can be questioned”.
As announced earlier by the Ukrainian Deputy Prime Minister, Iryna VereschukUkraine keeps on its territory 600 Russian prisoners captured since the invasion of his country by the Russian army began on February 24,
“When it comes to the total number (of military prisoners), there are now around 600. We have to build a special camp in accordance with international law.” to please them, Vereshchuk said during the broadcast of the so-called telethon, a television program broadcast jointly by local broadcasters.
Suspicions that the Russian military has committed war crimes in Ukraine have increased since the discovery hundreds of civilians deadsome of them handcuffed and previously tortured, in cities like bushingafter the withdrawal of Russian troops.
The government of Kiev, various NGOs and international institutions have asked for it carry out an investigation to document these possible war crimes which Russia has denied and attributes to “a staging”.
UN: Bucha footage suggests deliberate killings of civilians
This Tuesday, the United Nations Human Rights Office said the pictures of the alleged Bucha massacre “Seems to suggest” that civilians were deliberately killed theresomething that would constitute a war crime.
“We are trying to access Bucha, we have no direct information, but what we have seen is alarming“Office spokeswoman Liz Throssell said at a press conference.
He pointed out that images in which the bodies appeared with their hands tied or burned could indicate that the attackers were deliberately searching for these victims, which could raise the gravity of the human rights violations committed during the Russian invasion of Ukraine, if the facts are confirmed.
“High Commissioner Michelle Bachelet already spoke of possible war crimes in the context of the bombing of civilian infrastructure last week, but this appears to be a direct murder of civilians”, Stressed the spokesperson, who made it clear that the veracity of the images has yet to be verified.
“In specific incidents, forensic analysis, monitoring and intelligence gathering are needed to determine who did what,” Throssell stressed, stating that on many occasions responsibility “takes time”.
(With information from EFE)